You talk electric cars, the next kin after Tesla Motors Inc. is Kia Corp. from the Korean sister brands onto everybody’s tongue. This all started when KIA launched its EV6 worldwide, a long-range, powerful, and feature-rich electric car over skateboard technology just like Tesla, making everyone realize it’s not just Tesla who got those skateboards!
KIA EV6 was launched worldwide, even in India as a CBU model which is currently available at an Ex-showroom price of Rs. 60.95 lakhs in India. KIA EV6 in a true sense made everyone realise that it won’t be a Tesla monopoly anymore. From there, they kept on expanding their all-electric portfolio worldwide. Following the success of the KIA EV6 they also launched EV9 a long-range, all-electric 7-seater full-body SUV, and unveiled KIA EV5 as a concept later in China.
On 12th October 2023, KIA celebrated its first-ever EV Day in Korea, where they unveiled 3 new models, namely a production-spec EV5, EV4, and EV3 all of them were based on the Hyundai Electric Global Modular Platform, just like other all-electric models of Hyundai, KIA, and Genesis brands.
- KIA celebrated its first-ever global EV day on 12th October 2023
- KIA unveiled all-new KIA EV5 production-spec for global markets
- EV5 will be Made in Korea or China
- KIA also showcased two new concepts EV4 and EV3
- EV4 is a sedan that looks familiar to the already available EV6
- EV3 is a boxy crossover SUV that looks like an entry-level model in the lineup
- The awaited EV9 is still slated to be launched in India later this year or next year
- All models are based on Hyundai Motor Corporation’s e-GMP platform
KIA’s EV5 SUV was shown in China as a production-spec model a few months back, and this time at EV Day it was revealed as a global product. KIA also confirmed that EV5 production will take place in China and Korea for international markets.
EV5 is supposed to get 3 versions citing standard long-range and long-range AWD, which will be equipped with different battery packs based on the targeted market. However, most of the countries and regions are supposed to get battery packs as:
|Variant||Battery pack||Motor||Range per Charge|
|Standard||64 kWh||160 kW||530 km|
|Long Range||88 kWh||160 kW||720 km|
|Long Range AWD||88 kWh||230 kW||650 km|
KIA has also talked about an addition of a GT line to the lineup later, just like today we see the KIA EV6 GT line which almost goes on power with doubly priced supercars.
The EV5 gets plush upmarket interiors, with multiple screens for infotainment, HVAC, and vehicle information. ADAS with V2L and other important features is also arriving in EV5, although we have already seen it in KIA EV6 sold in India and EV9 in the rest of the markets.
In case KIA launches EV5 in India, we should highly anticipate it as a CBU unit of Korean manufactured models being sold in India, slated a little under the EV6, somewhere around Ex Showroom prices of Rs. 50 lakhs range.
KIA EV4 is a sedan designed not as a sedan, the radial approach is very similar to something we saw on EV6 with a slanting back, big bumpers, and a triangular and sharp front with KIA’s characteristic vertical headlamp housing.
The EV4 is a concept car as of now, and KIA hasn’t really talked about features, interiors, battery packs, and performance. However, triangular pattern alloys are something very evidently can be seen in the showcased images.
‘Mind Modes’ is an all-new avatar to ambient lighting with animated ventilation patterns was something heavily focused upon by KIA. Modes like ‘Perform mode’ where the driver gets all information to perform at optimum and ‘Serenity mode’ which uses various digital graphics and creates a perfect relaxed ambiance in the car.
KIA EV3 turns out to be an entry-level all-electric model in KIA’s international lineup, where it comes with 2 rows of seating clearly fitted into boxy style using cues of EV5 and EV9 already being sold.
In order to provide an SUVish road presence KIA has added a boxy style with a steep windscreen, chunkier alloys just like EV9, and a tapering roofline at the back. It looks almost like the youngest sibling of EV9 and EV5 electric SUVs by KIA.
KIA has penned that EV3 will have a minimalist approach toward the interiors of the vehicle and the utilization of sustainable materials all over the interior of the car. Some handcrafted and 3D approach to design for the interiors of the SUV is also in the thought process to give it a more premium feel.
It’s expected that the KIA EV3 can replace the currently available KIA Soul EV in international markets as a successor, but we never know what fate is ahead.
KIA EV9 and EV6
KIA is already selling its established EV6 and EV9 in international markets, from which India gets EV6. The all-new EV9 is expected to arrive in India soon later this year or next year to India. Currently getting sold at a price tag of $54,800 starting in the US it is expected to be around Rs. 80 lakhs to 1 Crore as Ex-Showroom pricing for the KIA EV9 if it launches in India.
On sale, EV6 recently got a 2023 update internationally, and it’s available on a pre-booking basis in India as a CBU model as of now.
FAQ About KIA celebrates it’s first EV Day
1. What is KIA’s first EV Day, and when did it take place?
– KIA celebrated its first-ever global EV day on 12th October 2023.
2. Why is KIA’s EV Day significant in the world of electric vehicles?
– KIA’s EV Day is significant because it marks KIA’s expansion into the electric vehicle market, introducing new models and production plans.
3. Tell me more about KIA’s EV6 and its impact on the electric car market.
– The KIA EV6 is a long-range, powerful, and feature-rich all-electric car. It has had a notable impact on the market, making people realize that electric vehicles aren’t limited to Tesla.
4. What new electric models did KIA unveil during its EV Day event?
– During KIA’s EV Day, three new models were unveiled: a production-spec EV5, EV4, and EV3, all based on the Hyundai Electric Global Modular Platform.
5. Where will KIA’s EV5 production take place, and what are its key specifications?
– KIA confirmed that EV5 production will occur in China and Korea for international markets. The EV5 will have three versions with different battery packs and varying ranges.
6. Can you provide details on the KIA EV4 concept, including its design and features?
– The KIA EV4 is a concept car with a design similar to the EV6. Specific features, interiors, battery packs, and performance details were not provided in the text.
7. What are the key features and design elements of KIA’s EV3, and where does it fit in the lineup?
– The KIA EV3 is an entry-level all-electric model with a boxy style, resembling EV9 and EV5. It is designed with a minimalist approach toward the interiors and sustainable materials.
8. When can we expect KIA’s EV9 to be launched in India, and what is its pricing range?
– The text mentions that the EV9 is expected to arrive in India later this year or next year, and the pricing is expected to be around Rs. 80 lakhs to 1 Crore as Ex-Showroom pricing.
9. How does KIA’s electric car strategy compare to other automakers in the industry?
– The text suggests that KIA is expanding its all-electric portfolio with the aim of achieving 1 million electric car sales by 2026 and 1.6 million electric car sales per year by 2030 globally, similar to strategies of other automakers.
10. What are KIA’s future goals in the electric vehicle market, and how do they plan to achieve them?
– KIA aims to expand its electric vehicle portfolio and achieve significant sales targets in the coming years, aligning with the goals of Hyundai Motor Corporation.
KIA is expanding its all-electric portfolio just like Tesla did with its Model S, 3, X, and Y. Something similar strategy was also shown by the Toyota-Lexus group, VW group, and even Mahindra did the same by unveiling the Born Electric range. The interesting part is KIA is aiming at 1 million electric car sales by 2026 and 1.6 million electric car sales per year by 2030 globally.
Since KIA comes under the Hyundai Motor Corporation and we have seen with the launch of EV6, the IONIQ 5 was launched by Hyundai under its brand name, and the Genesis GV 60 under the Genesis brand. You may soon expect to see similar sister models in the Hyundai and Genesis line up very soon.
Let us know what are your thoughts about KIA’s EV day and all new launches seen last day in the comments section.